1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
2) Beat together the shortening, sugars, salt, baking powder, and vanilla.
3) Beat in the egg, then stir in the oats and flour, mixing till cohesive. The dough will be stiff.
4) Gently stir in the potato chips.
5) Drop the dough in chestnut-sized pieces (about 1 level tablespoon) onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 1 1/2" space around each cookie.
6) Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, until they're barely beginning to brown. This will yield a cookie that's crunchy on the outside, and softer within. For a cookie that's crunchy/hard all the way through, bake for 14 to 15 minutes, till light golden brown.
7) Remove the cookies from the oven, and cool right on the pan.
Yield: about 42 cookies.