1) Divide the puff pastry into four equal pieces, and roll each piece on a lightly floured surface into a 4" x 12" rectangle.
2) Divide the sausage meat into four equal pieces.
3) Working with one piece of meat at a time, form a 3/4"-diameter rope. Place the rope down the center length of the rectangle.
4) Wet one of the longer edges of pastry with water, and roll the other edge over the filling to enclose it. The two edges should meet; the water will help seal them. Place the finished long roll on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
5) Repeat with the remaining ingredients to form three more rolls. Put them on the baking sheet, and place the whole baking sheet in the freezer for 30 to 40 minutes, to firm up.
6) Cut the semi-frozen rolls at 1" intervals — you should get 12 pieces from each roll.
7) At this point you can bake immediately; refrigerate the individual rolls for up to 2 days, or place in the freezer to bake as needed.
8) When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease two baking sheets, or line them with parchment.
9) Place the individual rolls, seam-side down, on the prepared baking sheets.
10) Bake the rolls for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and cool slightly before serving.
Yield: 48 sausage rolls.