1) Combine the dough ingredients in a mixing bowl and knead vigorously, by hand for 10 to 15 minutes, or by machine on medium-low speed for 10 minutes. The dough will be quite stiff.
2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl. Let it rise, covered, until noticeably puffy, 60 to 90 minutes.
3) Divide the dough into eight pieces. Roll one piece at a time into a smooth ball. Let the balls rest, covered, for 30 minutes; they'll puff slightly.
4) Bring the water, malt powder, and sugar to a very gentle boil in a wide-rimmed pot. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
5) Cut or poke a hole through the center of each ball. Stretch the hole with your fingers until it's 2" in diameter. Place the bagels on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
6) Transfer bagels, four at a time, to the simmering water. Cook for 2 minutes on one side, flip over gently, and cook for another minute.
7) Remove the bagels from the water and return to the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining bagels.
8) Bake the bagels for 25 minutes, until they're set and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of one registers at least 190°F.
9) Remove the bagels from the oven, and cool on a rack.
Yield: 8 bagels.