1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan, or smaller pans of your choice (see tip at right).
2) Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl until well blended.
3) Toss in the cheese, herbs or onion, and olives.
4) In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, oil, and eggs until foamy.
5) Stir the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture.
6) Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup grated cheese.
7) Bake the bread for 55 to 60 minutes (30 to 35 for mini loaves), until a tester inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Remove it from the oven, and after 10 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.
Yield: one 9" x 5" loaf.