1) Soak the saffron threads in the water for 10 to 15 minutes to soften them for baking. Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 12" x 5 1/4" x 2" biscotti pan. .
2) With a hand-held mixer or egg beater, whisk the eggs and sugar together until light in color, thickened, and foamy.
3) Stir in the saffron/water. Lightly sprinkle 1 cup of flour over the surface of the mixture and fold it in gently. The mix will be thick and sponge-like, full of air and a deep yellow color.
4) Spread the batter into your prepared biscotti pan and bake for 20 to 22 minutes. The edges be well-browned and begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Set the pan on a rack to cool for 10 minutes.
5) Turn the loaf out onto a cutting board and use a sharp serrated knife to slice it into 1/2" slices. Lay each slice on a baking sheet, cut side up (and down).
6) Place the pan under the broiler until the toasts begin to darken at the edges about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, carefully flip each slice over and broil the reverse side as well.
7) Cool the toasts completely before serving. Store in an airtight container or zip-top bag for up to 3 weeks.
Yield: 16 to 18 slices.
You can try making them GF by using the GF flour and a 1/4 tsp of xantahn gum. We haven't tried it, but it would be an experiment. Try it without the saffron the first time! Happy baking! Laurie@KAF