1) To make the dough: Mix and knead the dough ingredients to form a smooth, supple dough. Cover the dough and let it rise until it's puffy, about 1 ½ hours.
2) To make the topping: Melt the butter in a sauté pan, add the onions and salt, and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to brown the onions evenly.
3) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
4) Lightly grease three canapé tubes.* See tip, below left.
5) Divide the dough into three pieces, and shape each into a log. Place in canapé tubes, attaching the caps at both ends.
6) Immediately place the bread in the oven, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the crust is brown and its internal temperature is 190°F.
7) Remove from the oven, remove the caps, and cool in the tubes for 10 minutes. Remove from the tubes, and cool completely on a rack.
8) Cut the cool loaves into 3/8"-thick slices. Top each slice with 1 tablespoon of the caramelized onions and crumbles of goat cheese.
9) Toast the canapés in a 350°F oven for 10 minutes. Garnish with chives. Serve warm.
Yield: 3 small loaves, about 60 slices.