1) Brown the crumbled sausage in a frying pan, remove from the pan, drain on paper towels, and set aside.
2) Sauté the onions and peppers until just tender; remove from the pan and mix with the sausage.
3) Place the potatoes in the pan and fry until browned and tender.
4) Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole or 9" x 13" pan. Mix the potatoes, sausage, vegetables and bread, and spoon into the pan.
5) Mix the milk, eggs, cheese powder, and spices; pour over the ingredients in the baking pan. The dish may be prepared up to this point and refrigerated for several hours, or up to overnight.
6) About 1 hour before serving, preheat the oven to 350°F.
7) Bake the casserole for 40 to 50 minutes, until golden brown and puffy. Remove from the oven, and let sit for 10 minutes or so before serving. Sprinkle with chopped parsley or basil for garnish, if desired.
Yield: 12 servings.