1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9" x 13" pan.
2) To make the topping: Mix together the slivered or chopped nuts, coconut (if you're using it), flour, sugar, and butter. The mixture will stick together slightly and form crumbs. Don't over-mix, or it'll be difficult to crumble. Set the mixture aside.
3) To make the cake: Beat together the butter, sugar, vanilla, and orange zest until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4) Whisk together the flours, and stir them in alternately with the milk, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl.
5) Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
6) Sprinkle with the cranberries, and then top with the crumbs; this keeps the fruit from burning.
7) Bake the cake until it's golden brown, about 38 to 45 minutes. A cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean. Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack to cool a bit while you make the glaze.
8) To make the glaze: Mix the ingredients together and stir until smooth, adding more milk or confectioners' sugar to make a pourable glaze the consistency of molasses. Drizzle on the warm cake, and serve.
Yield: one 9" x 13" cake.