1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two or three large baking sheets.
2) In a medium-sized bowl, beat the butter, sugar, spices, and vanilla until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
3) Beat in the eggs; the batter may look slightly curdled.
4) Add the flour, crystallized ginger, chopped nuts, and raisins, stirring until completely combined; the dough will be quite soft and sticky, but should hold its shape when you drop it from a spoon.
5) Drop the dough by the rounded tablespoonful (our tablespoon cookie scoop works well here) onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2" between the cookies.
6) Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and allow them to cool for a few minutes on the pan. Transfer them from the pan to a rack to finish cooling. Store well-wrapped cookies at room temperature for a week or so; freeze for longer storage.
Yield: about 3 dozen 3 1/2"cookies.