1) Combine all the ingredients, then beat at high speed for about 1 minute to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
2) Place in a greased bowl, cover, and let rest for 30 minutes.
3) Place the dough on a greased work surface. Divide it into 12 pieces, each about the size of a walnut (about 1 5/8 ounces).
4) Roll each piece into a ball. Cover the balls and let rest for 15 minutes.
5) Use a tortilla press, a rolling pin, or your hands to pat each ball of dough into a thin, 4" to 5" circle.
6) Let these rest 15 minutes (they'll shrink a bit), then roll each circle into a thin 6" to 8" round. Keep rolled-out dough rounds covered to prevent drying out.
7) Heat an ungreased heavy cast iron skillet or griddle over high heat. Cook the tortillas one at a time, until small dark spots form and the dough is set, about 20 to 30 seconds per side.
8) Stack finished tortillas in a napkin, or wrap in foil to keep warm until ready to serve.
9) Tortillas may be rewarmed in the microwave, or wrapped in foil and heated in a 350°F oven.
Yield: 12 tortillas.