1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter six ¾-cup silicone baking cups or oven-safe custard cups. Combine the figs and boiling water, and set aside.
2) To make the cake: Beat the 1/4 cup butter, brown sugar, salt, and baking powder until fluffy.
3) Beat in the egg, then the molasses and vanilla, then the flour.
4) Purée the figs and water in a food processor or blender. Add the baking soda, and stir into the batter.
5) Pour into the prepared baking cups. Place molds on a baking sheet.
6) Bake the cakes for 18 to 22 minutes, until a cake springs back when lightly pressed in the center. Remove from the oven, and cool in the molds or cups.
7) To make the sauce: Cook the sugar, butter, and salt over medium heat until the mixture is a deep amber color; watch closely to prevent burning.
8) Carefully mix in the cream. Cook the mixture until it's thick enough to coat a spoon.
9) Unmold the cakes and serve with the sauce.
Yield: 6 individual cakes.