1) In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices until smooth.
2) Beat in the molasses, then the egg, stopping to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
3) Mix in the flour. Refrigerate the dough, covered for 30 minutes or as long as overnight.
4) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line with parchment paper.
5) Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and drop it by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets; a teaspoon cookie scoop works well here.
6) Bake the cookies for 10 to 11 minutes, until they've flattened out and started to color at the edges.
7) Remove the cookies from the oven and transfer them to a rack to cool.
Yield: about 4 1/2 dozen cookies.