1. To make the filling: Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and the meat.
2. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned. Add the onions, garlic, and spices, and cook for 3 minutes more, until the onions soften.
3. Add the tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, and diced tomatoes. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the kidney beans, stir to combine, and transfer the mixture to a covered 2 1/2 to 3-quart casserole dish.
4. For the topping: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
5. Work in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
6. Beat together the egg, creamed corn, and buttermilk, and stir into the dry ingredients until evenly moistened.
7. If you're adding cheese, stir it in now.
8. Scoop the batter on top of the hot filling, leaving plenty of space around each one: the tamale dumplings will double in size as they cook. Cover the dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve warm.