1) Pour the hot tea over the dried fruits in a medium-sized bowl. Set the mixture aside to cool to lukewarm, about 1 hour.
2) Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease an 8" x 2" round cake pan. If your pan isn't at least 2" deep, use a 9" round pan.
3) In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
4) Add the dried fruit, and any remaining liquid. Stir till thoroughly combined; the batter will be thick and stiff.
5) Add the egg, mixing till thoroughly combined.
6) Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top evenly with the coarse sparkling sugar.
7) Bake the bread for 60 to 70 minutes, till a cake tester inserted in the center comes out moist, but without clinging crumbs.
8) Remove it from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.
Yield: one 8" round loaf.