1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8 1/2" maryann pan.
2) To make the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
3) Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the juice and then the eggs one at a time, scraping the sides and bottom of the mixing bowl and beating well after each. The mixture may look somewhat curdled, but will smooth out with the addition of flour.
4) Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the milk.
5) Pour into the prepared pan, smoothing the top.
6) Bake the cake for 34 to 38 minutes, or until it springs back when lightly pressed. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack.
7) To make the glaze: While the cake is baking, make the glaze. Combine sugar and lemon juice over low heat (or in the microwave), stirring often, until sugar is dissolved. Don't let it boil. Let glaze cool slightly before using.
8) Brush glaze over warm cake, allowing it time to sink into the cake. Cool completely before filling with cream or pudding, and topping with fruit.
Yield: one 8 1/2" cake, 6 to 8 servings.