1) Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.
2) Roll the dough 3/8" thick on a floured surface. Using a mini pie mold, 6" cutter, or circle template, cut out 12 circles, re-rolling the dough as necessary.
3) To make the filling: Combine all the filling ingredients. Preparing the filling after rolling out the dough will prevent the apples from sitting and becoming too watery.
4) Place 1/3 cup of filling in the center of each of 6 pastry circles.
5) Dampen the dough around the filling with the egg wash, and top with an unfilled pastry circle.
6) Seal with the help of a pie mold, or by pinching the edges with your fingers or a fork.
7) Brush the top of the pies with the egg wash, and sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired.
8) Place the pocket pies on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes. Lower the temperature to 375°F and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
9) Remove the pies from the oven, and serve warm or at room temperature. Store any leftovers, well-wrapped, at room temperature for several days; freeze for longer storage.
Yield: 6 hand pies.