1) To make the crust: Whisk together the flour and salt, then add the cheese and toss it to coat with flour. Cut in the butter and shortening, mixing until well combined. Drizzle just enough water over the mixture to make it cohesive, tossing with a fork until it begins to come together. Fold the dough over on itself until it holds together, then divide it 65/35 into two flat disks, with smooth edges. The larger disk is for the bottom crust. Wrap well, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2) To make the filling: In a large bowl, stir together the filling ingredients, mixing until the apples are well coated. Set aside.
3) To assemble and bake: Preheat the oven to 425°F. Roll the larger disk of dough to a 13 1/2" round, and lay it into a 9" or 10" pie plate. Spoon in the filling.
4) Roll out the second disk of dough to an 11" circle (or see hint below for an easy, decorative pie top). Lay it over the filling, and seal and crimp the edges. Brush the top crust with milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired. Extra bits of crust can be used to cut decorative leaves or other designs to lay on top.
5) Bake the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a preheated 425°F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375°F, and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until the top is brown and the filling is bubbly. Remove the pie from the oven it completely and cool before slicing.
Yield: 1 pie, 8 to 12 servings.