1) Preheat the oven to 225°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil, shiny side up.
2) In a large bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar and a dash of salt. Beat until soft, foamy peaks form.
3) Gradually add maple sugar, continuing to beat until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
4) Drop meringues by large teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheet; a teaspoon cookie scoop, dipped in water frequently, works well here. Sprinkle each meringue with additional maple sugar, if desired.
5) Bake the meringues for 2 hours. Turn off the heat, and leave the meringues in the oven, with the door closed, until they're crunchy all the way through — 3 hours or more. Overnight works best.
6) Remove the meringues from the oven, and cool to room temperature. Store airtight at room temperature.
Yield: 3 dozen meringues.