1) Remove the paddles from the bread machine bucket. Spray the inside of the bucket with non-stick vegetable oil spray.
2) Using the homemade menu, program the machine for bake, 70 minutes. If you have the newer Virtuoso model, program for bake, 80 minutes. Either way, add the keep warm option.
3) In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the melted butter and sugar until well combined.
4) Add the buttermilk, yogurt, or whey; and the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla, beating until smooth.
5) Spoon the batter into the pan, smoothing it into the corners.
6) Spread the apples atop the batter. Pour the syrup over the apples.
7) Press Start.
8) Allow the machine to complete its cycle. For a stiffer cobbler, allow it to go through its keep warm option, too; feel free to scoop out a taste once it's finished baking and is in keep warm!
9) Remove the bucket from the machine, and serve the cobbler right form the bucket, scooping all the way to the bottom to get some cake with each serving. Serve warm, or at room temperature; with ice cream, whipped cream, or just as is, in all its cinnamon-y glory.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings.