- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 20 mins.
- Baking time:
- 8 mins. to 10 mins.
- Total time:
- 23 mins. to 5 hrs 2 mins.
- 6 servings
This hearty soup, packed with big, fat noodles and chunks of white-meat chicken (or turkey), pairs beautifully with a chunk of toasted Italian bread. Or a soft dinner roll. Or a slice of whole wheat bread. Or...
- 6 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups egg noodles, uncooked
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken or turkey
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 1) In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of the stock with the vermouth and butter. Bring to a boil and reduce the liquid to about 1/4 cup. The mixture will be syrupy. Stir in the cream, and set aside.
- 2) In a larger saucepan, bring the remaining stock to a boil. Add the noodles and cook till tender, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- 3) Mix the flour and water together until smooth, and stir into the noodle mixture.
- 4) Allow the soup to boil for 1 to 2 minutes, then stir in the cream mixture and chicken.
- 5) Season with salt and pepper to taste, and garnish with chopped parsley.
- 6) Yield: 6 servings.
Tips from our bakers
- Prefer not to use vermouth? Alcohol is a flavor carrier, so you'll definitely lose a bit of flavor; but substitute extra broth or water for the vermouth, if desired.