- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 20 mins.
- Baking time:
- 1 hrs 30 mins. to 1 hrs 30 mins.
- Total time:
- 1 hrs 45 mins. to 1 hrs 50 mins.
- 1 cake
This pound cake — a rich dark brown outside, with a fine, golden crumb — is the perfect base for sliced fruit and a dollop of whipped cream.
- 14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3-ounce package cream cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 eggs
- 1) In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and cream cheese, at high speed, until they're very light and fluffy. Add the salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder, and mix to combine; the batter will be stiff. Add the extracts, and 1 egg. Beat well. Continue to add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg is added; the finished batter should be extremely light and fluffy.
- 2) Spoon the batter into a greased 9" x 5" loaf pan. Bake the cake in a preheated 325°F oven for 90 minutes, tenting it lightly with aluminum foil after 60 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan to cool on a rack. Serve the cake warm or at room temperature; store it well-wrapped at room temperature.