- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 30 mins.
- Baking time:
- 3 mins. to 3 mins.
- Total time:
- 40 mins. to 55 mins.
- 16 candies
This quick, easy candy combines toasted pecans, caramel, chocolate, and coarse sea salt, for a gourmet touch.
- 1) Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 2) Divide the pecans into 16 small piles on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet (a scant 2 teaspoons pecans each).
- 3) Flatten each caramel cube into the size of a half dollar, and place on the pecans.
- 4) Heat in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes, until the caramel softens and begins to melt.
- 5) Remove from the oven; wait 1 minute, then top each cluster with one disk of chocolate, pressing it into the softened caramel gently.
- 6) Top each candy with a few flakes of Fleur de Sel, or other coarse sea salt.
- 7) Allow the caramel and chocolate to cool and set before removing candies from the pan.
- Yield: 16 candies.
Tips from our bakers
- Be sure to browse through the reader comments below for interesting ideas on slightly different ways to prepare these candies.
- How do you toast nuts? Spread nuts in in a single layer in an ungreased pan. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 6 to 10 minutes, until they're a light, golden brown. Remove from the oven, and pour into another pan, to cool quickly and prevent over-browning.
- For heart-shaped cut-out candies, line an 8" x 8" pan with parchment. Measure out 3/4 cup of pecan pieces, a 6-ounce block of caramel (about 20 caramel candies), and 30 chocolate disks. Spread the pecan pieces evenly over the bottom of the pan. Roll or pat the caramel into a thin sheet and place it on top of the pecans. Once you've heated and softened the caramel, evenly distribute the chocolate disks on top of the caramel, and sprinkle over the fleur de sel. Allow the caramel and chocolate to cool and set. Lift the parchment out of the pan, then cut out heart shapes using a 1" heart cookie cutter.