- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 25 mins.
- Baking time:
- 4 mins. to 5 mins.
- Total time:
- 31 mins. to 45 mins.
- 3 1/2 round Belgian-style (deep-pocket) 7" waffles
Trying to add extra fiber to your family's diet? These whole-grain waffles are a tasty place to start. They're so crisp and light, no one will ever suspect they're made with 100% whole wheat flour!
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour or Premium Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1) Preheat your iron while you make the waffle batter.
- 2) Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- 3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter or oil.
- 4) Mix together the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. The batter will be a bit lumpy; that's OK.
- 5) Cook the waffles as directed in the instructions that came with your waffle iron.
- Yield: 3 1/2 round Belgian-style (deep-pocket) 7" waffles.
Tips from our bakers
- If you or your family are very sensitive to whole wheat's sometimes assertive flavor, try substituting 2 tablespoons orange juice for 2 tablespoons of the milk in this recipe. The OJ tames whole wheat's potentially tannic taste, without adding any citrus flavor of its own.