- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 20 mins.
- Baking time:
- 45 mins. to 55 mins.
- Total time:
- 2 hrs to 2 hrs 15 mins.
- 8 to 10 servings
This sweet, creamy, nutty pudding was universally loved when we put it out for taste-testing.
- 11 to 12 cups bread, 3/4" cubes, tough crust removed
- 1 jar Pecan Pie in a Jar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup half & half or cream
- 1) Butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- 2) Microwave Pecan Pie in a Jar for 1 minute; carefully remove it from the microwave.
- 3) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs, and half & half or cream.
- 4) Whisk in the pecan mixture. Scoop off most of the pecans, and set them aside.
- 5) Add the bread cubes to the milk/egg, and mix lightly to combine.
- 6) Pour the mixture into the dish; it may mound slightly.
- 7) Spoon the pecans over the top of the pudding.
- 8) Let the mixture sit for an hour or so at room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator, covered. Just before baking preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 9) Bake the pudding for 45 to 55 minutes, uncovered, until the top is browned and the middle springs back when lightly pressed.
- 10) Remove the pudding from the oven, and serve warm, topped with ice-cream or whipped cream. Or, as they do in New Orleans, with whiskey sauce!
- Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Tips from our bakers
- How big a loaf of bread do you need to make 11 to 12 cups of bread cubes? A 1 1/2-pound loaf, with its crusts removed, should be just about right.
- Don't have Pecan Pie in a Jar? I tried the recipe using my favorite Pecan Pie filling recipe, increasing the eggs to 6 to cover the 6 eggs in the original recipe and it works just beautifully!