- Hands-on time:
- 31 mins. to 46 mins.
- Baking time:
- 25 mins. to 38 mins.
- Total time:
- 4 hrs 56 mins. to 12 hrs 24 mins.
- about 16 servings
An unparalleled confection: creamy, coffee-flavored, and decadently delicious.
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy or whipping cream
- tiramisu filling mix (3 ounces; one package)
- 1/4 cup water
- a single 9" round cake layer, chocolate or vanilla, split in half horizontally; see suggestions in tips at right.
- 1) To make the syrup: Stir the syrup ingredients over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a full rolling boil, remove from the heat, and set aside to cool.
- 2) To make the mousse: Whip the cream to soft peaks. Dissolve the mousse powder in the water, and immediately stir about 1 cup of the whipped cream into the mixture. Whisk the mousse mixture into the remaining whipped cream.
- 3) To assemble: Remove the top (browned) layer from the cake. Cut the cake in half horizontally. Place one layer into a springform pan that's been lined with a piece of parchment or waxed paper.
- 4) Sprinkle the cake with 3 tablespoons of syrup.
- 5) Spread 2 cups of filling onto the cake. Top with the second piece of cake.
- 6) Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons coffee syrup; let it sit for several minutes, then top with the remaining mousse. Refrigerate for several hours.
- 7) Run a thin spatula around the edge of the pan. Remove the springform. Move the cake to a serving platter.
- 8) Sprinkle with cocoa and/or chocolate shavings. Serve cold. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- Yield: about 16 servings.