- Hands-on time:
- 20 mins. to 30 mins.
- Baking time:
- 8 mins. to 10 mins.
- Total time:
- 2 hrs 45 mins. to 17 hrs
- 8 servings
This pie is both quick and delicious, with nicely chewy bits of sweet, toasted coconut in a smooth, creamy filling.
- 1 1/4 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs*
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- *For an easy shortcut, substitute Graham Cracker Crumb Crust Mix, prepared as directed
- 1 1/2 cups Pastry Cream Filling mix
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon coconut flavor or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt, optional
- 3/4 cup toasted shredded coconut
- 1) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 2) To make the crust: Blend the crust ingredients, and press into the bottom and sides of an 8" or 9" pie pan.
- 3) Freeze for 15 minutes, then bake for 8 to 10 minutes; the crust won't change much, just become slightly brown around the edges. Remove from the oven, and set aside to cool.
- 4) To make the filling: Combine the pastry cream filling mix with milk, cream, and flavorings. Stir until blended, then beat for 2 to 3 minutes, until thick.
- 5) Stir in the toasted shredded coconut, and spoon the filling into the cooled pie shell.
- 6) To make the topping: Combine the cream, stabilizer, sugar, and flavorings, whipping until fluffy. Spoon or pipe onto the top of the pie.
- 7) Refrigerate the pie for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Garnish with toasted large-flake coconut, if desired, and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Tips from our bakers
- No pastry cream filling mix? Use one small box of vanilla instant pudding mix. The heavy cream will make it taste much richer.
- Instant ClearJel can replace the Whipped Cream Stabilizer. Use half as much. You can also leave out all stabilizers if just pure whipped cream is desired.