- Hands-on time:
- 10 mins. to 15 mins.
- Baking time:
- 19 mins. to 21 mins.
- Total time:
- 2 hrs 29 mins. to 3 hrs 36 mins.
- 6 buns
Everyone loves the ease of no-knead yeast breads. This version calls for you to beat all the ingredients in a mixing bowl for just 2 minutes. From there, it's an easy path to these big, soft, cheese-scented buns, perfect for hamburgers.
- 2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Vermont cheese powder or 1/2 cup finely grated sharp cheddar or Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt*
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, optional but tasty
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup lukewarm water**
- *Use 1 teaspoon salt if you use freshly grated cheese
- **Use the greater amount of liquid in winter or in drier climates; the lesser amount in summer, or in a humid environment.
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1) Combine all of the ingredients, and beat at high speed, using an electric mixer, for 2 minutes. To use your bread machine, put everything in the bucket, and let the dough go through its dough or manual cycle; skip to step 3 below if you're using a bread machine.
- 2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl or rising bucket, cover it, and let it rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until it's noticeably puffy.
- 3) Gently deflate the dough, and divide it into 6 pieces; each will be about 111g, a scant 4 ounces.
- 4) Shape the dough into balls, and place them in the wells of a lightly greased hamburger bun pan. If you don't have a bun pan, space them on a lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- 5) Gently flatten the buns with your hand to fill the bottom of the pan's wells, or until they're about 3 1/2" to 4" wide.
- 6) Cover the buns, and let them rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until they're noticeably puffy. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 7) Brush each bun with some of the melted butter.
- 8) Bake the buns for about 20 minutes, until they're a light, golden brown, and their interior temperature is at least 200°F, measured with an instant-read thermometer.
- 9) Remove the buns from the oven, transfer them to a rack, and brush with the remaining melted butter. Allow the buns to cool completely, then store airtight at room temperature.
- Yield: 6 big buns.
Tips from our bakers
- To make a poppy or sesame seed star pattern on your buns: Brush each bun with a mixture of 1 egg white beaten with 1 tablespoon water. Gently place a star stencil on top of a bun and sprinkle on a light layer of seeds. Remove the stencil to reveal the pattern. Repeat with the remaining buns.