- Hands-on time:
- 10 mins. to 15 mins.
- Baking time:
- 16 mins. to 18 mins.
- Total time:
- 26 mins. to 33 mins.
- 12 muffins
How can these tender, golden muffins possibly be high fiber? Hi-maize Fiber, the easy, "invisible" way to add fiber to any of your favorite treats. Hi-maize adds an extra 4g fiber per muffin — and your family will never know it's there.
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Hi-maize Fiber*
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Cake Enhancer, optional, for tenderness
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3/4 cup (1 standard container) lemon, vanilla, or other fruit-flavored yogurt, regular or low-fat (not nonfat)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor, optional but good; or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter, melted
- 1 cup dried fruit, chopped if large; Tropical Fruit Blend is a good choice
- *Substitute all-purpose flour, if desired, increasing the amount of milk to 1/2 cup.
- 1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease and flour the wells of a muffin pan, or line the pan with paper liners, and grease the liners.
- 2) In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, fiber, baking powder, salt, and cake enhancer.
- 3) Whisk together the milk, yogurt, eggs, and flavor, and gently stir into the dry ingredients. Stir in the melted butter.
- 4) Gently stir in the fruit.
- 5) Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each nearly full. A level (to slightly heaped) muffin scoop of batter for each muffin works well here.
- 6) Combine the topping ingredients, mixing until well combined and crumbly.
- 7) Sprinkle a generous tablespoon of topping over each muffin.
- 8) Bake the muffins for 16 to 18 minutes, until they've domed nicely and they're lightly browned.
- 9) Remove the muffins from the oven, and transfer them to a rack to cool.
- Yield: 12 muffins.
Tips from our bakers
- Try this tasty variation: use 1 cup diced dried pineapple for the fruit, and top muffins with sweetened or unsweetened flaked coconut, instead of streusel topping.