- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 30 mins.
- Baking time:
- 35 mins. to 40 mins.
- Total time:
- 3 hrs 10 mins. to 3 hrs 40 mins.
- 3 small loaves
For pretty hors d'oeuvres, slice this shaped bread very thin, and top with your favorite spread.
- 1 1/2 cups pumpernickel flour
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup King Arthur 100% White Whole Wheat Flour or Premium Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 cup (2 1/4 ounces) rye chops or cracked wheat
- 2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten, optional — for stronger rise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Deli Rye Flavor, optional — for flavor
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons caramel color, optional — for color
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons caraway seeds, optional
- 1) Combine all of the ingredients, and mix and knead — by hand, electric mixer, or bread machine — to make a stiff, sticky dough.
- 2) Cover the dough, and let it rise until it's almost doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 3) Divide the dough into three pieces, and shape them into logs.
- 4) Place in greased canapé tubes, attach caps to ends, and allow the loaves to rise until they've filled the tubes 3/4 full, about 30 minutes. If you're not using canapé tubes, shape the dough into three long, thin loaves, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 5) While the loaves are rising, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 6) Bake the bread for 35 to 40 minutes, until the crust is brown and the internal temperature registers at least 190°F. If you're baking loaves without the tubes, bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- 7) Remove the bread from the oven, remove the end caps, and cool in the tubes for 10 minutes. Remove from the tubes, and cool completely on a rack.
- Yield: 3 small loaves.
Tips from our bakers
- To keep the canapé tubes from rolling around the oven, put them in a 9" x 13" pan; the three will fit perfectly together.
- For hors d'oeuvres, spread with savory toppings, or with small bits of cheese, meat, and vegetables. Here are some suggestions: smoked salmon, cream cheese, dill and/or sliced/chopped red onion, and/or capers; Brie, a sliced grape, and a dab of apricot jam or marmalade; Swiss cheese, a bit of sauerkraut, shredded pastrami or corned beef, and a dollop of Russian or Thousand Island dressing; cheese and sausage (or ham) and mustard.