- Hands-on time:
- 30 mins. to 50 mins.
- Baking time:
- 20 mins. to 24 mins.
- Total time:
- 3 hrs to 4 hrs
- 12 buns
Drizzle these delicious buns with caramel sauce just before serving.
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 3 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons grape seed flour, optional, for extra antioxidants
- 3 tablespoons Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor or vanilla extract
- 1 cup Baker's Cinnamon Filling* mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1/2 cup caramel bits, optional
- *Or substitute 6 tablespoons butter, 1 cup brown sugar, and 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon for the Baker's Cinnamon Filling mix and water (don't add water if you make this substitution).
- 1/2 cup caramel bits, block caramel, or unwrapped vanilla caramel candies
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or half & half
- 1) Combine all of the dough ingredients, and mix and knead them together — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — until you've made a soft, smooth dough.
- 2) Cover the dough, and let it rise for 1 hour, or until puffy.
- 3) While the dough is rising, lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or a baking sheet.
- 4) Gently deflate the dough, and roll it into an 18" x 18" square.
- 5) Spread with the prepared cinnamon filling, then sprinkle with the chopped nuts and caramel bits, leaving an uncovered strip about 1" wide along one side.
- 6) Roll into a log starting with a filling-covered end opposite the unfilled end. If you want the buns to pop like a corkscrew, as shown in the picture, roll the dough tightly, stretching the dough as you roll it up.
- 7) Slice the log into 12 pieces; if your knife sticks, dip it in hot water between cuts. Or use dental floss to cut the dough.
- 8) Place the buns in the prepared muffin pan, or space them on a baking sheet.
- 9) Cover, and let the buns rise until puffy, about 60 minutes. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 10) Bake the buns for 20 to 24 minutes, until they're a light golden brown.
- 11) Remove them from the oven, and place on a rack to cool slightly, while you make the glaze.
- 12) Melt the glaze ingredients together over low heat or in a microwave, stirring until smooth.
- 13) Spoon over the buns.
- 14) Serve warm, or at room temperature.
- Yield: 12 buns.