- Hands-on time:
- 20 mins. to 30 mins.
- Baking time:
- 16 mins. to 20 mins.
- Total time:
- 1 hrs 36 mins. to 1 hrs 50 mins.
- 12 cupcakes
Bright and fresh, these cupcakes rely on lemon and lime for their tangy taste.
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon powder or lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (grated lime peel)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (juice from 1/2 lime)
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour Blend or King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon powder or lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- food coloring, optional
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- grated lemon or lime peel (lemon or lime zest), for garnish
- 1) To make the cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place cupcake liners in the 12 cups of a muffin pan. Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- 2) Beat together the oil, sugar, lemon juice powder, salt, and lime zest until light in color, about 2 minutes at medium-high speed.
- 3) Beat in the lime juice; then the eggs, one at a time, until the mixture lightens in color, about 2 minutes at medium-high speed.
- 4) In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- 5) At low speed, add the flour mixture to the batter in three additions, alternating with two additions of the milk; mix until blended, about 30 seconds.
- 6) Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
- 7) Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 16 to 20 minutes; the cakes will remain quite pale.
- 8) Remove from the oven, and after 5 minutes transfer to a rack to cool.
- 9) To make the glaze: Whisk together the ingredients to make a smooth glaze about the consistency of molasses, adding additional liquid or confectioners' sugar as needed.
- 10) To glaze cupcakes: Dip cooled cupcakes into the glaze. Sprinkle with zest, if desired; the glaze sets up quickly, so be sure to sprinkle with zest right after dipping.
- Yield: 12 cupcakes.