- Hands-on time:
- 20 mins. to 30 mins.
- Baking time:
- 12 mins. to 16 mins.
- Total time:
- 7 hrs 35 mins. to 1 days 13 hrs 45 mins.
- Two 9" to 12" pizzas
An overnight rest in the fridge for the dough gives this pizza crust superb flavor and a delightfully crisp-chewy texture.
- 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 cups semolina*
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Pizza Dough Flavor (optional, but delicious)
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons to 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- *Use 3 cups all-purpose flour OR 3 cups Perfect Pizza Blend in place of the all-purpose/semolina mixture, if desired
- tomato sauce, cooked meats, vegetables, and cheeses of your choice; see tips, below
- 1) Dough: Beat the ingredients at high speed of your electric mixer, using the beater blade, for 2 minutes. Switch to the dough hook, and knead for 7 minutes; the dough should be smooth and quite soft. You can also make the dough in a bread machine set on the dough cycle. If kneading by hand, mix the ingredients, then let the dough rest, covered, for about 30 minutes; this will give the flour a chance to absorb the water, which will make kneading easier.
- 2) Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 45 minutes; then refrigerate it for 4 hours (or up to 36 hours); this step will develop the crust’s flavor. It'll continue to rise in the fridge, so make sure it's in a big enough bowl.
- 3) Divide the dough in half. Note: for thick, Sicilian-style pizza, leave the dough in one piece, and press it into a rimmed half-sheet pan (18" x 13").
- 4) Working with one piece of dough at a time, pick it up and let gravity gently stretch it into an oval. For a more circular shape, move your hands around the perimeter of the dough as it stretches. For thin-crust pizza, make a 12" round or oval. For thick-crust, make a 9" round.
- 5) Cover the dough, and let it rest while you heat your oven to 450°F. For thickest crust, let your pizza rest/rise for 60 minutes before baking.
- 6) Baking: After about 30 minutes, use a giant spatula or pizza peel to transfer the pizzas and parchment to your hot oven stone; or place the pizzas and parchment on a pan, and place the pan on the middle rack of your oven.
- 7) Bake for 6 minutes (for a thinner, larger crust), or for up to 8 minutes for a smaller/thicker crust. Remove from the oven.
- 8) To enjoy pizza right away, top it with your favorite toppings, return to an upper rack of the oven (not to the stone), and bake for an additional 8 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling bubbly.
- 9) To serve pizzas some other time, remove the parchment, cool the un-topped crusts, wrap them well in plastic wrap, and store at room temperature for 2 or 3 days. Refrigerate for up to 5 days; or freeze for up to 4 weeks.
- 10) When you’re ready to serve, remove the crusts from the refrigerator or freezer. While they warm to room temperature, heat your oven to 450°F; frozen crusts should be taken out of the freezer and thawed earlier in the day; leave them in the bag, but leave the bag open as they thaw. Top crusts with your favorite toppings and place them on a parchment-lined or greased baking sheet, then on an upper rack of the oven. Bake the pizzas for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling bubbly.
- Yield: 1 large or 2 medium pizzas.
Tips from our bakers
- Here are some of our favorite toppings:
*Thinly sliced tomato, fresh mozzarella, and basil;
*Garlic oil, sautéed wild mushrooms, goat cheese, and Parmesan cheese;
*Chopped onions, mushrooms, pepperoni, cheddar, and marinara;
*Garlic oil, shaved Brussels sprouts, pancetta, shallots, and Parmesan cheese;
*Pesto, red onion, roasted red peppers, sweet Italian sausage, and mozzarella cheese;
*Garlic oil, ricotta cheese, feta cheese, spinach, and Kalamata olives.
- Want to add some whole wheat to the crust? Substitute 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour for the semolina.
- If you use all-purpose flour in place of the semolina, reduce the water in the recipe to 7/8 to 1 cup.