- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 25 mins.
- Baking time:
- 55 mins. to 60 mins.
- Total time:
- 1 hrs 10 mins. to 1 hrs 25 mins.
- 9" x 5" loaf
Facing a zucchini surplus? This moist, dense bread, with its mild hint of cinnamon, offers a sweet surprise: chocolate chips. Never thought of adding chocolate chips to zucchini bread? Give it a try; the rich flavor of chocolate marries perfectly with the earthiness of zucchini and brown sugar.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup molasses or honey
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or Premium Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded, unpeeled zucchini (about 1 small/medium zucchini)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F; lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- 2) In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, molasses or honey, oil, sugar, and vanilla until smooth.
- 3) Add the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon, mixing until well combined.
- 4) Stir in the zucchini, chocolate chips, and nuts.
- 5) Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- 6) Bake the bread for 55 to 60 minutes, until the loaf tests done (a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center will come out clean, save for perhaps a smear of chocolate).
- 7) Remove the bread from the oven, and let it cool for 10 to 15 minutes before turning it out of the pan onto a rack.
- 8) Cool completely before slicing; store well-wrapped, at room temperature.
- Yield: one 9" x 5" loaf.
Tips from our bakers
- Want to make this bread gluten-free? Substitute 2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour for the whole wheat flour; add an additional 1 large egg and 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum; let the batter rest for 15 to 20 minutes before pouring it into the pan; and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until it tests done with a toothpick. Also, make sure the vanilla extract you use is gluten-free.