- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 25 mins.
- Baking time:
- 40 mins. to 45 mins.
- Total time:
- 1 hrs 25 mins. to 1 hrs 40 mins.
- 16 to 24 servings
This cake offers a zesty spin on a classic morning favorite.
- ¾ cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice powder*
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into ½" pieces
- grated rind (zest) of 1 lemon
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- *If you don't have lemon juice powder, increase the grated lemon rind to that of 2 lemons.
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice powder or the grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon lemon oil, optional, for flavor
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a tube pan, or a 9" x 13" pan.
- 2) To prepare the streusel: Stir together the dry ingredients. Cut in the cold butter, then add the grated rind and pecans.
- 3) To prepare the cake: Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, lemon powder (or grated rind), and cinnamon.
- 4) Beat the butter and lemon oil together until the butter is soft. Add the sugar and beat until light and creamy.
- 5) Add the eggs one at a time, followed by the sour cream, beating after each addition and scraping down the bowl as needed.
- 6) Add the dry ingredients, stirring just until incorporated.
- 7) Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the batter.
- 8) Bake the cake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. If you've used a tube pan, allow the cake to cool slightly, then turn it out onto a plate. Using another plate, turn it over again so the streusel is on top. If you've baked the cake in a 9" x 13" pan, serve it right from the pan.
- 9) To prepare the glaze: Stir the lemon juice and confectioners' sugar together. Drizzle over the cake.
- Yield: 16 to 24 servings.