- Hands-on time:
- 25 mins. to 35 mins.
- Baking time:
- 35 mins. to 40 mins.
- Total time:
- 1 hrs 30 mins. to 1 hrs 45 mins.
- one 9" quiche
Here's a tasty dish that's perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch — even dinner. With its savory, cheese-scented crust, and creamy, mushroom-studded filling atop a layer of sharp cheddar cheese, it's simply irresistible.
- 3/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup Hi-maize Fiber; or substitute 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Vermont cheese powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, in ½" cubes
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water*
- *If you substitute flour for the Hi-maize, increase the water by 1/2 to 1 tablespoon.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped onion; about 1 medium onion
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme; use more or less to taste
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1) To make the crust: Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- 2) Work in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- 3) Toss in the cheese, then drizzle in the water, stirring gently until all is evenly moistened.
- 4) Pat the dough into a disk, wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 5) To make the filling: Heat the butter over medium heat in a large pan until foaming.
- 6) Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- 7) Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms start to lose their juices, about 10 minutes.
- 8) Mix in the garlic, thyme, ½ teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper. Stir to combine; remove from the heat.
- 9) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 10) Combine the eggs, milk, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt.
- 11) To assemble the quiche: Transfer the dough to a floured surface, and roll it ¼" thick. Line a 9" pie pan with the dough, crimping the edges.
- 12) Line the bottom of the crust with the cheese, top with the mushrooms, and pour in the egg mixture.
- 13) Bake the quiche for 35 to 40 minutes, until the edge of the crust is brown, and the filling appears set.
- 14) Remove the quiche from the oven, and serve warm.
- Yield: one 9" quiche.