- Hands-on time:
- 10 mins. to 18 mins.
- Baking time:
- 10 mins. to 10 mins.
- Total time:
- 50 mins. to 1 hrs 28 mins.
- about 2 1/2 dozen 2 1/2" Florentines
These snapping-crisp cookie/candy clones are a European classic. If you enjoy the dark chocolate/orange flavor combo, you'll love these elegant treats.
- 1) Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment, or non-stick foil.
- 2) Stir together the sticky bun sugar, almonds, and orange peel.
- 3) Using a tablespoon measure, make 1-tablespoon mounds of the mixture on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2" apart; they'll spread a lot.
- 4) Bake the Florentines for about 10 minutes, until the almonds are golden brown. Reverse the pans in the oven midway through the baking time, so they brown evenly.
- 5) Remove the Florentines from the oven, and allow them to cool completely on the pan.
- 6) When the Florentines are completely cool, melt the chocolate, either in a microwave, or over very low heat. Stir until it's completely smooth.
- 7) Brush the melted chocolate onto the flat (bottom) of each cookie, placing them, chocolate side up, on a rack to set.
- 8) Store cool and dry for up to several weeks.
- Yield: about 30 Florentines.
Tips from our bakers
- Can you make these without Sticky Bun Sugar? Yes; but not using this recipe. Classic Florentines are made with a boiled mixture of butter, honey, cream, and sugar, and are much more difficult to successfully pull off. We think this simple version, using Sticky Bun Sugar, is easy, fail-safe, and well worth the investment in the special sugar.