- Hands-on time:
- 30 mins. to 45 mins.
- Baking time:
- 23 mins. to 27 mins.
- Total time:
- 53 mins. to 1 hrs 12 mins.
- up to 4 or 5 medium (12") round pizzas
Crisp/chewy crust topped with Gorgonzola, chicken tenders doused in hot sauce, scallions, and a blizzard of mozzarella and provolone cheese — that's Buffalo chicken, Italian-style.
- your favorite pizza crust recipe*
- *See tips, below, for suggestions.
- 3 pounds boneless chicken breast or boneless chicken tenders, cut into 1 1/2" to 2" pieces
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- about 6 1/2 cups cooking oil, peanut oil preferred; for frying
- Frank's hot sauce, or your favorite hot sauce
- garlic oil
- Gorgonzola cheese
- scallions, trimmmed and chopped into 1/2" pieces (white and green parts)
- mozzarella cheese and provolone cheese; or your favorite combination of pizza cheeses
- 1) To make the chicken: Rinse the chicken in cold water, then combine the flour and salt in a large lidded plastic container, or plastic bag. Working in batches, add the chicken and shake to coat.
- 2) Heat the oil to 360°F to 375°F. Add enough chicken to fill the pan 1/3 to 1/2 full on its surface. Cook the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes, until it floats to the surface and turns a very light golden brown. Transfer the chicken to paper towels to drain. Continue until you've cooked all of the chicken.
- 3) After draining for a minute or so, transfer the chicken to a large, shallow bowl, and sprinkle generously with hot sauce or wing sauce, tossing to coat.
- 4) Repeat until you've fried and hot-sauced all of the chicken. Refrigerate until you're ready to make the pizza(s).
- 5) When you're ready to make pizza, shape the dough into thick or thin crusts, as many as you like; there's enough chicken to top four or five 12" pizzas. Let the crust rise (for thicker crust); or bake it right away (for thin crust).
- 6) When the crust is ready to bake, bake it in a preheated 450°F oven for about 15 minutes, until it's a light, golden brown.
- 7) While the crust is baking, cut the chicken into pieces about 1/2" thick. Place the chicken, garlic oil, crumbled Gorgonzola, diced scallions, and pizza cheese within easy reach.
- 8) Remove the crust from the oven. Brush it with garlic oil, sprinkle with Gorgonzola, distribute chicken evenly, and add scallions, then pizza cheese.
- 9) Return the pizza to the oven, and bake for an additional 5 to 8 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the toppings are warmed.
- 10) Remove from the oven; serve hot or warm.
- Yield: as many pizzas as you'd like to make, up to about five 12" pizzas.
Tips from our bakers
- The amount of chicken called for is sufficient to top four or five 12" pizzas. Cut back on the chicken if you like; we like to make the entire 3 pounds, and serve any leftovers as an appetizer, with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks.
- We like the crust from our Quick Beer-Crust Pizza recipe, or our Now or Later Pizza. A good no-knead pizza crust is ideal here; just grab some dough out of the fridge, shape, and you're ready to go.