- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 20 mins.
- Baking time:
- 20 mins. to 20 mins.
- Total time:
- 35 mins. to 40 mins.
- 6 individual soufflés
A wonderful balance of bittersweet chocolate and cinnamon make this light, sweet dessert cloud the perfect happy (gluten-free) ending.
- granulated sugar for coating ramekins
- 1 heaping cup Belcolade bittersweet disks
- 4 tablespoons butter (plus extra for brushing ramekins)
- 2 teaspoons chocolate extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 large eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons brewed coffee, cooled to lukewarm
- ½ cup Baker's Special Sugar, superfine sugar, or granulated sugar
- pinch of cream of tartar
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- 1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 2) Brush six 6-ounce ramekins with butter, coat with granulated sugar, and set aside.
- 3) Melt the chocolate disks and butter over low heat.
- 4) Add the chocolate extract and whisk in the cinnamon. Set aside.
- 5) Separate the eggs, placing 3 yolks (1 1/2 ounces) in your mixing bowl; save the remaining yolks for another use (see tips, below). Set the whites aside; you'll use them later.
- 6) Add the coffee to the yolks and beat until frothy.
- 7) Add 2 tablespoons sugar from the ½ cup, and beat on high speed until the mixture lightens in color and thickens (about 5 minutes).
- 8) Fold the beaten yolks into the chocolate mixture until blended.
- 9) In a clean bowl, beat the whites with a pinch of cream of tartar until frothy. Slowly add the remainder of the sugar while continuing to beat. Beat on high speed until the whites reach a firm, but not fully stiff peak.
- 10) Fold 1/3 of the whites into the chocolate mixture. Fold the remaining 2/3 in gently, turning your bowl with each stroke and taking care not to deflate the eggs. A few colored streaks may remain in the final mixture.
- 11) Fill each ramekin almost full, stopping about ¼" to ½" from the top, and cleaning any spilled batter from the edges to ensure a good rise.
- 12) Bake the soufflés for 20 minutes. They'll still be slightly wobbly in the center when done.
- 13) Remove from the oven, dust with confectioners' sugar, and serve immediately.
- Yield: 6 individual soufflés.
Tips from our bakers
- If you're extremely sensitive to gluten, be sure to use only ingredients packaged in a gluten-free facility. Our Belcolade disks and Baker's Special sugar are gluten-free, but are NOT packaged in a gluten-free facility.
- What to do with the leftover egg yolks? Make our Extra-Rich Creme Caramel.