- Hands-on time:
- 30 mins. to 35 mins.
- Baking time:
- 15 mins. to 18 mins.
- Total time:
- 55 mins. to 1 hrs 5 mins.
- 12 cupcakes
In the world of flavors, pistachio has a milder, gentler taste to match its mild green color. These cupcakes feature ground pistachios in the cupcake and a sweet, soft pistachio buttercream icing. Next time you need a break from in-your-face dark chocolate, or lively lemon, try this perfect pale-green pairing.
- 1 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour Blend
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup ground pistachios
- 1 cup half & half OR whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon extra strong pistachio flavor (optional, but very good)
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cupcake liners. Spritz the liners lightly with cooking spray.
- 2) In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, vanilla, egg, and butter. Add the ground pistachios and blend on low speed for 1 minute. The batter will be very thick. Scrape down the bowl.
- 3) Add the half & half and pistachio flavoring and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- 4) Divide the batter evenly among the wells of the prepared pan, and bake the cupcakes for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Immediately remove the cupcakes from the pan and set them on a rack to cool completely.
- 5) While the cupcakes cool, combine the prepared buttercream icing with the canned pistachio paste and pistachio flavoring (if using). Beat for 1 to 2 minutes to combine well. A drop or two of pale green food coloring may be added, if desired.
- 6) Pipe or spread the icing on the cooled cupcakes. Be generous, you have plenty. Store in the fridge, but return to room temperature before serving.
- Yield: 12 cupcakes.