- Hands-on time:
- 30 mins. to 45 mins.
- Baking time:
- 8 mins. to 10 mins.
- Total time:
- 1 hrs 38 mins. to 1 hrs 55 mins.
- one 9" pie
With a graham cracker crust and a simple chocolate cream filling, this pie is a breeze to put together in the high heat of summer.
- 1 1/4 cups finely crushed graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional; for enhanced flavor
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons whipped cream stabilizer, optional, for holding power
- 1) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a 9" pie pan.
- 2) To make the crust: Combine the ingredients, and press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Freeze the crust for 15 minutes (this will prevent over-browning), then bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until it's lightly browned around the edges. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- 3) To make the filling: Combine the hot water, cocoa, and vanilla in a small measuring cup and set aside.
- 4) Microwave the chocolate chunks on high for 1 minute, stir until completely melted, and let cool for several minutes. Or melt over low heat on the stovetop.
- 5) Whip the cream, sugar, and salt with a hand or stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- 6) Stir the cocoa mixture into the melted chocolate.
- 7) Using a whisk, fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream until no white streaks remain.
- 8) Spread the filling evenly into the cooled crust.
- 9) Refrigerate the pie for at least 1 hour before serving, or until the filling is firm.
- 9) For the topping, whip the cream and sugar together until soft peaks form. If you're using whipped cream stabilizer, whisk together the sugar and stabilizer before adding to the cream.
- Yield: 9" pie, 8 to 10 servings.
- 11) Slice the pie, and top each serving with a dollop of whipped cream and a chocolate curl, if desired.