- Hands-on time:
- 45 mins. to 60 mins.
- Baking time:
- Total time:
- 60 mins. to 1 hrs 15 mins.
- 3 to 4 servings
This pasta dish is inspired by the many varieties of tomatoes coming into fashion. If heirloom tomatoes aren't available to you, a combination of vine and cherry tomatoes is a good substitute.
- 2 1/4 cups King Arthur Italian-Style Flour*
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- *See tips from our bakers, below.
- 1) To make the pasta: Combine the flour, eggs, and salt in a food processor and pulse until a smooth dough forms. Or mix with a hand or stand mixer; or by hand.
- 2) Knead the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic, and set it aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- 3) For the tomatoes, heat a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, and cook until it turns golden. Transfer the garlic to a paper towel to dry, reserving the oil.
- 4) Combine the tomatoes with the oil, garlic, and salt in a large bowl, tossing to combine. Set aside while you make the pasta.
- 5) Run the dough through a pasta machine on its thickest setting. Repeat the process, flouring as necessary, gradually reducing the thickness to the last setting. Cut along the length of pasta at foot-long intervals, then cut each into 3/4"-wide strands.
- 6) Bring 4 quarts water + 1 tablespoon salt to a boil. Drop the pasta into the boiling water, stir, then cook for 4 minutes.
- 7) Drain the pasta, and refresh under cold running water to stop the cooking. Continue to drain the pasta in a colander for 10 minutes or so, then toss with the tomatoes and fresh basil.
- 8) Serve immediately; or refrigerate and serve later.
- Yield: 3 to 4 servings.
Tips from our bakers
- For soft, tender pasta, use Italian-Style Flour, as directed above. For pasta with a little more texture and bite, use 2 cups (9 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Perfect Pasta Blend, or 2 1/4 cups (9 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour.