- Hands-on time:
- 20 mins. to 25 mins.
- Baking time:
- Total time:
- 4 hrs 20 mins. to 4 hrs 40 mins.
- 2 cups jam
Whether you call it Bacon Jam, Bacon Onion Relish, or Devil's Delight, this sweet, salty, bacon-y spread is outstandingly good. Crisp salty bacon is simmered for hours with onions, maple syrup, brown sugar, and a couple of secret ingredients to create a soft, spreadable jam that's divine on toast or crostini, fresh vegetables, pita bread, new potatoes... the list goes on and on!
- 1) Slice the bacon into 1" slices and cook in a large skillet until well browned. Drain the fat and reserve the bacon.
- 2) Place the cooked bacon and all other ingredients into a 2 quart or larger crock pot. Cover and cook over high heat for 3 to 4 hours.
- 3) Remove the cooked jam from the crock pot, fish out the bay leaves, and carefully transfer to a food processor or blender. Pulse until the consistency is to your liking, a soft spreadable jam. You can leave the bacon in larger bits or pulse until very small, your choice.
- 4) If you find the jam too liquid for your taste, transfer to a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until the liquid has evaporated and the jam is thick and syrupy. Adjust the seasonings and serve warm.
- 5) Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Warm in the microwave before serving.
- Yield: 2 cups jam.
Tips from our bakers
- Our list of things we want to use this jam in is ever-growing. Here are just a few to get you started: warm potato salad, grilled asparagus, fresh tomatoes, panzanella, grilled cheese, crackers and goat cheese, spinach salad, a spoon, fresh garden peas, scrambled eggs, bagels and cream cheese...