- Hands-on time:
- 20 mins. to 25 mins.
- Baking time:
- 35 mins. to 40 mins.
- Total time:
- 55 mins. to 1 hrs 5 mins.
- one 8" or 9" layer cake
These colorful layers of Southern tradition with hints of citrus and chocolate boast a rich cream cheese frosting. Our gluten-free baking fans may finally hop on the red velvet bandwagon!
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the bottoms of two 8" or 9" round pans.
- 2) Pour the cake mix into a bowl and sift the cocoa powder into the mix. Whisk thoroughly.
- 3) Beat the butter, then add half the mix. Blend on low speed until the mixture is crumbly.
- 4) Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 12 to 14 seconds between each addition.
- 5) Add 1/3 of the milk at a time alternately with 1/3 of the dry mixture, blending on medium-low speed for about 7 seconds in between additions. Add the red velvet cake flavor, stirring just until blended.
- 6) Divide the batter between the two pans (8" pans will give you thicker layers).
- 7) Bake the cakes for 35 to 40 minutes, until the middle of the cakes feel firm when pressed. The internal temperature should reach 212°F.
- 8) Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool on a rack for 10 minutes. Run a thin spatula or knife around the edge of the cakes, then turn them out of the pans to cool completely on the rack.
- 9) Fill and frost cooled layers with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Yield: one 8" or 9" layer cake, 12 to 16 servings.