- Hands-on time:
- 5 mins. to 10 mins.
- Baking time:
- 16 mins. to 18 mins.
- Total time:
- 21 mins. to 28 mins.
- 12 muffins
With buttermilk for tenderness, whole wheat for healthy fiber, and granola for a touch of crunch and flavor, these muffins are a delicious way to start any day. Want to make them vegan? See "tips," below.
- 2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour or Premium Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 1 cup prepared granola
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or 1 1/4 cups liquid whey*
- *The liquid drained from plain yogurt when you make thick, Greek-style yogurt.
- 3/4 cup prepared granola
- 1) Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease the cups of a standard muffin pan; or line with paper baking cups, and grease the paper cups.
- 2) Whisk together all of the dry ingredients, including the granola.
- 3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, vegetable oil, and buttermilk or whey.
- 4) Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring just to combine.
- 5) Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them nearly full. A slightly heaped muffin scoop of batter is the right amount.
- 6) Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with additional granola, if desired.
- 7) Bake the muffins for 16 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
- 8) Remove the muffins from the oven, and after 5 minutes (or when they're cool enough to handle) transfer them to a rack to cool. Serve warm, or at room temperature. Store leftovers loosely wrapped at room temperature.
- Yield: 12 muffins.
Tips from our bakers
- Our Crunchy Granola recipe is a perfect choice here.
- Want to make these muffins vegan? Substitute 1 1/4 cups orange juice, vegetable juice, cranberry juice, or the juice of your choice for the buttermilk or whey.