- Hands-on time:
- 20 mins. to 30 mins.
- Baking time:
- Total time:
- 4 days 20 mins. to 4 days 12 hrs 30 mins.
- about 1 1/2 cups starter
Add tangy zest to your breads and other baked treats with this gluten-free sourdough starter. Just a few ingredients and 4 days of nurturing bring you this exciting addition to your gluten-free baking world.
- 1) Whisk 1/4 teaspoon French sourdough starter into 1 cup Ancient Grains Flour Blend.
- 2) Add 1/2 cup cool water and mix until well blended. Allow mixture to rest overnight at room temperature.
- 3) The next day (day 2), discard half the starter and feed with 1 cup Ancient Grains Flour Blend and 1/2 cup cool water.
- 4) On day 3, repeat the discarding and feeding process of day 2.
- 5) On the fourth day, discard half the starter, and feed the remainder with 1 cup King Arthur Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour and 1/2 cup cool water. When the starter becomes active following this feeding, it's ready to use in your first recipe.
- Yield: about 1 1/2 cups starter.
Tips from our bakers
- For a fun experiment, try substituting 1/2 cup starter for 1/2 cup of the flour and 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of the liquid in our gluten-free blueberry muffin recipe or any other muffin, cake or quick bread of your choice.
- For tangier yeast bread recipes, try using 1 cup starter in place of 1/2 cup water and 1 cup flour.
- Sourdough starter is best stored in the fridge in a stoneware crock or glass container with a loose-fitting lid. You should observe the same procedures for care and maintenance as for a wheat-based starter.