- Hands-on time:
- 25 mins. to 30 mins.
- Baking time:
- 20 mins. to 25 mins.
- Total time:
- 45 mins. to 55 mins.
- 8 servings
For a new twist on an old autumn favorite, try this not-too-sweet, not-too-tart apple crisp with toasted, buttery, gluten-free bread crumbs in the topping.
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1) Pulse some gluten-free bread (approximately 1/2 loaf, depending on loaf size) in your food processor and set 3 1/2 cups of the crumbs aside for the topping.
- 2) To make the filling: Peel, core, and slice about 6 apples; the variety is your choice.
- 3) Combine the boiled cider and orange juice, and toss with the apples.
- 4) Combine the cinnamon, nutmeg, granulated sugar, and a pinch of salt. To thicken the filling, add 1 tablespoon gluten-free tapioca starch. Toss the apples with the sugar/spice mixture to coat, and spread in an 8" square pan.
- 5) To make the topping: Mix 3 cups of the bread crumbs, the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Pour the melted butter over the mixture and stir, allowing the bread crumbs to absorb the butter.
- 6) Press the topping evenly over the apples and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the apple filling is bubbling.
- 7) Remove from the oven, and serve warm; ice cream or whipped cream are a tasty topping.
- Yield: about 8 servings.