- Hands-on time:
- 10 mins. to 15 mins.
- Baking time:
- Total time:
- 50 mins. to 3 hrs 20 mins.
- 1 quart
Smooth and creamy, with a kick of cinnamon spice, this ice cream will pair beautifully with apple pie, Mexican brownies, and warm peach cobbler. A small scoop on your morning oatmeal would make for a decadent special-occasion breakfast.
- 1) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and milk until the sugar dissolves.
- 2) Blend in the heavy cream, then whisk in the eggs, cinnamon, cinnamon oil, and salt. The cinnamon oil is the key to the warm, spicy flavor of this ice cream; we don't recommend leaving it out.
- 3) Chill this base in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours, or up to overnight. A cold base will freeze faster, making for a creamier ice cream in the end. If your ice cream maker has a removable bowl that needs to chill in the freezer, make sure it's fully chilled before using.
- 4) Freeze in your ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's directions.
- 5) Yield: 1 quart.
Tips from our bakers
- Cinnamon oil can often be found in craft store and party supply stores in the cake decorating section. Look for tiny glass bottles and use care, as it's very strong.
- The eggs in this recipe aren't cooked. If you're concerned about food safety issues, please be sure to use pasteurized eggs.