- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 20 mins.
- Baking time:
- 25 mins. to 30 mins.
- Total time:
- 40 mins. to 50 mins.
- two 9" x 9" squares
Indulge in the rich buttery goodness of shortbread — without the gluten. This tender cookie is touched with the perfect balance of crisp citrus and warm vanilla bean.
- 1 1/2 cups (24 tablespoons) softened butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind (zest); the rind of 2 medium oranges
- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons orange extract or 1 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 cups Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teasoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1) Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly grease 2 9X9 square pans. Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- 2) Blend in the orange zest and flavorings.
- 3) Add the egg yolks one at a time on low speed, blending well.
- 4) Whisk together the flour, xanthan gum, and salt, then stir into the butter/sugar mixture just until thoroughly combined.
- 5) Scrape the bowl well to be sure all the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
- 6) Divide the mixture evenly between two lightly greased 9" x 9" pans.
- 7) Bake the shortbreads in a preheated 350°F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until their edges are nicely browned.
- 8) Wait about 10 minutes, then turn the shortbreads out of the pan gently. Cut immediately into desired shapes while still warm.
- Yield: 2 9X9 square pans.
Tips from our bakers
- This recipe works well as a half batch. If you aren't preparing for a crowd or don't have 2 pans, just cut all ingredients in half. If you would like to make a full batch, but only have one pan, you can bake one pan a time, or store the rest of the dough in the refrigerator to bake another day. Cookies keep well stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to two weeks.
- The Fiori Di Sicilia is NOT a certified gluten free item, so for serious gluten sensitivities, you will need to use the orange oil instead.