- Hands-on time:
- 15 mins. to 20 mins.
- Baking time:
- 45 mins. to 55 mins.
- Total time:
- 60 mins. to 1 hrs 15 mins.
- 1 loaf, 16 servings
Would you like a banana bread recipe that's healthy, nutty, lower in sugar, AND gluten-free? You'll love this moist, flavorful loaf studded with coconut and flax meal. Go gluten-free AND bananas at the same time!
- 1 3/4 cups Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup whole flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons Cake Enhancer
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups (3 large or 4 small) mashed ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon King Arthur Pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon banana flavor, optional
- 1) Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan and preheat your oven to 350°F.
- 2) In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the flour, flax meal, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum, cake enhancer, cinnamon, and nutmeg and set aside.
- 3) In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar and oil until well-blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until well-incorporated.
- 4) Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and beat on medium speed for about 30 seconds, until well combined.
- 5) Stir in the banana, coconut, and flavors, and blend well.
- 6) Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the bread's internal temperature reaches 210°F. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before turning it out onto a rack. Cool completely before cutting.
- 7) Yield: 1 loaf, 16 servings.
Tips from our bakers
- It's often difficult to be sure gluten-free quick breads are fully baked in the middle. A cake tester inserted into the center may come out crumb and batter free before the bread is fully baked; thus, using an instant-read thermometer is a good idea.
- To make this bread using coconut flour: Reduce the gluten-free flour to 1 1/2 cups; and add 1/2 cup coconut flour along with the flax. Reduce the vegetable oil to 1/4 cup; and substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract for the 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon banana flavor. Bake the bread for 55 to 60 minutes, until its internal temperature reaches at least 200°F.