- Hands-on time:
- 20 mins. to 30 mins.
- Baking time:
- 18 mins. to 22 mins.
- Total time:
- 58 mins. to 1 hrs 32 mins.
- 12 cupcakes
Looking to bake something green for St. Patrick's Day? These pistachio-flavored cupcakes rely on instant pudding mix for both color and pistachio flavor. If you're not a fan of pudding mix, check out our traditional recipe for Pistachio Cupcakes.
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pistachio flavor, optional; for enhanced flavor
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 2/3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 1/8-ounce package instant pistachio pudding mix or 1-ounce package sugar-free pudding mix*
- 2 tablespoons Cake Enhancer, optional; for increased moistness
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt, or sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup finely chopped pistachios, optional
- *Use a national brand, for deepest green color.
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream*
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 1/2 cups mini-marshmallows (3/4 standard-size bag)
- 3 1/8-ounce package instant pistachio pudding mix or 1-ounce package sugar-free pudding mix
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pistachio flavor, optional; for enhanced flavor
- chopped pistachios, to garnish; optional
- *For a stiffer icing suitable for piping (rather than spreading), use 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, and omit the milk.
- 1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease the wells of a standard muffin pan; or line the pan with muffin papers, and grease the papers (for best release).
- 2) To make the cupcakes: Beat together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, pistachio flavor, salt, baking powder, and baking soda until thoroughly combined.
- 3) Whisk together the flour, pudding mix, and Cake Enhancer. Whisk together the yogurt and milk.
- 4) Starting and ending with the flour mixture, alternately beat in the flour and yogurt/milk: 1/3 of the flour, half the yogurt/milk, 1/3 of the flour, the remaining yogurt/milk, and the remaining flour. Beat gently to combine after each addition. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and beat briefly.
- 5) Stir in the chopped nuts, if you're using them.
- 6) Spoon the batter into the wells of the pan.
- 7) Bake the cupcakes for 18 to 22 minutes, until they appear set and a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center cupcakes comes out clean.
- 8) Remove the cupcakes from the oven, and as soon as you can handle them, transfer them to a rack to cool.
- 9) To make the frosting: Combine the cream, milk, marshmallows, pudding mix, confectioners' sugar, and pistachio flavor in a microwave-safe bowl or small saucepan. Heat gently, stirring often, until the marshmallows have melted and the mixture is smooth.
- 10) Remove from the heat, and chill until completely cold. Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, whip the frosting until it's smooth and creamy. If you've used all cream, it'll be quite stiff, which makes it perfect for piping.
- 11) Spread the icing (or pipe the all-cream version) atop the cupcakes. If you pipe it, you probably won't need the optional garnish of chopped nuts; if you spread the icing, chopped nuts help dress the cakes up.
- Yield: 12 cupcakes.